Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Street Cruiser

What not to do in an accident

This actualy happened to me last October
    I was riding my Buell and came round a blind bend decked over when guy
    made illegal left turn from side road and stopped right in the middle of road when he saw me coming, I missed him by inches and managed to stop my bike I turned round and cursed him out big time for a couple of minutes .I then took off still raging and full of adrenaline it was at this time that I noticed that I was having problems changing gear I looked down and saw that gear lever had in fact touched the guy and this was why I couldnt change gear .I was stuck in third gear and still not thinking too clear so I set off home slipping clutch when it came to taking away
    luckily I was only couple of miles from home .
    When I arrived home I pulled into my drive and had trouble putting side stand down I figured that it must have also caught the car and was bent up so I lent the bike against the wall and got off only to collapse on the drive way
    After a couple of minutes lying there I realised what had happened
    I had not missed him at all my left leg was broken which is why it wouldnt change gear or put side stand down
    Paramedics did indeed confirm that tibia and fibula were broken
    on plus side gear lever and side stand were fine
    but down side was I never got the number of clown who caused the accident by making illegal turn
    If something happens and you figure you are in the right its better to stop and check things out luckily I had good insurance which covered six week
    hospital stay and I now have a steel pin in my leg to match the one I have in my ankle from when I was a nipper and thought I was immortal.

Pizza Delivery
    Benton, Arkansas; Crystal Meth Capitol of the USA
    Some of you may remember I was hit and run over last June. The EMTs who came didn't have a clue except to give me oxygen. If it had not been for a lady witness, they would have removed my helmet and rolled me onto my side checking for injuries. I was responsive and answering their questions but they would not listen to what I said. They tried twice more to remove my helmet once I was in the ambulance. I resisted them until I actually saw a doctor. I had 3 fractured vertebrate, 8 broken ribs, four crushed ribs and a crushed lung. I knew I had back injuries at the scene and was scared they would snap my neck or back at the scene. The lady who helped me had recently taken a motorcycle accident class. I am very glad she was there. Just because they ride around in an ambulance doesn't mean they know what to do.

Street Cruiser
    Great info , Thanks
    Don't knock on deaths' door. Ring the doorbell then run like hell.He hates that!

One tip learned in training served me well occurred at an accident scene. One car t-boned another at an intersection right in front of me. Several people including me rushed each car and I remember several people saying, "Someone should call 911." My training clicked in and I took charge by pointing to this guy and firmly telling him, "You go call 911 at that store over there." (pre-cell phone days) If you know what needs to be done, don't try to help by committee. Take charge and direct resources to do what needs to be done.
    -------------------------------------
    06 Triumph Rocket III
    15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #42146

Comes easy after "Bossy nurse training" but so true. Took years to realioze unless someone says Can I help I,m a (Brain surgoen. Military Doc, Paramedic Fire action hero etc) the rest are probably not just slow but dangerous .(With respect)

My first words at the scene that cteated this thread were "anyone know any medical training here?', (A few mumbles) Second words were "Well I,m a Nurse" Must say the speed with which they lept up leaving me to it was very flattering. I never got round to say (A wet nurse) Inexperienced Nurse, Mental Health Nurse or Shit scared nurse!!
    Go to your room and have a really good think about what you've just done!

Whilst I appreciate it's only natural to post 'well done' type messages to this thread, can I ask that you hold back, please?

Both Firemedic & I would wish that the thread stays as pure as possible, with only pertinent accident scene advice on it.

I will keep an eye on it, and if necessary, I will prune off any non pertinent posts at some future time.

If anyone want to post any extra congrats, can you please start a new thread?

Many thanks.
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

Pizza Delivery
    Great post firemedic. From an critical care nurse's perspective may I add...

Wear a helmet. I've seen too many guys die of head injuries that they would have dusted themselves off and walked away from if they'd been protected.

Make sure everyone in your family knows what you want done in the event that you are left incapacitated and cannot speak for yourself. Do you want mechanical ventilation, tube feedings, blood pressure support, etc? Don't be another Terri Schiavo, with your family fighting over your brain dead body.

Register to be an organ donor. You don't need them any more, and your unfortunate demise can serve a greater good.

Don't mean to be a downer, but I see this stuff way too often.

Sucking wound of the chest.

My Royal Navy training: a credit card is an excellent "cover" for the wound, and easy to lift and replace under pressure as necessary without having to fiddle about. Holes too big for that are rare in the living.

FireMedic: agreed, or not?
    Slarti back in this dimension (maybe).

Pizza Delivery

Credit Card

Slart-
    Any occlusive item; meaning something that does not let air pass through, will do in a pinch. The best thing to use would be something that is a little more pliable, and will conform better. In a perfect world you should be able to tape down most of all four sides of a square occlusive oblect, leaving a corner to move, allowing the thorasic pressure/vaccum to open and shut it as required. That's why I mentioned the cellophane off a pack of cigarettes. On the ambulance, we carry 'petroleum gause' as an occlusive dressing. I have yet to actually use the gause part, as most of the time we use the foil wrapper that holds the gause.
    Having said that....in field expiedient medicine, as long as you are trying to do the right thing, using the idea of "Would I want this joker doing this to me?", you make use of what you have on hand. Here is something else to consider. "I did not cause this, I am just doing my best to minimize this guys suffering and injuries."
    It takes 40 muscles to frown and 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

GOD I WANT MY BIKE BACK

Pizza Delivery
    I figure everytime a rider down post is placed, I will put this up.
    Let me know if it gets anoying.

It takes 40 muscles to frown and 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

GOD I WANT MY BIKE BACK