Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Le Grande Tour 2010

How does this sound?

Brittany Ferries run from Portsmouth leaving 1100 hrs on Wednesdays, arriving Santander in Spain 1200 hrs on Thursday.

In September 2010 they leave on the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th. My preference would be for 8th, but I’m flexible.

1st night on ferry.

Day 2, ride west then south, over the Parque Nationale Picos de Europa Mountains to Riano & spend the 2nd night in a hotel there. Approx 125 miles

3rd day, ride a different route across the Picos Mountains, back past Santander to Bilbao, where we spend the 3rd night in a Formula 1 motel. Approx 170 miles

4th day, easy ride southeast, parallel to the Pyrenees to a hotel in Jaca. Approx 170 miles

5th day, take a route over the Pyrenees to either Pau (Approx 78 miles) or Tarbes (Approx 125 miles) in France, where there are Formula 1 motels.

6th/7th day, ride up to Nomad & Wendys place in the Correze. (Approx 250 miles from Tarbes, 280 miles from Pau)

Spend 2 nights there, then ride up to Caen to take a ferry back to the UK on day 8. (Approx 400 miles)

This suggestion uses hotels all the way, but I could investigate campsites near to each stop if required, for those on a budget.

A VERY rough budget would be £300ish on ferry crossings for bike & 1 rider, and about 50 euros a night single for hotels.

Have a look at this from last months 'Bike' magazine - it's where I got the idea for our days 2 and 3 runs.

We will be travelling this road on one of the days.

So far we have definites from the Bikes & Mates forum of:

owl
    lmg
    rocketsteve
    Perdurabo
    tc

Maybes:

midlifecricis
    sprocket
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

Darn but that sounds like a magnificant trip Tom.

The wheels start turning when I see something like this. We received a note from our son that they arrived safely in Vincenza. As soon as they get a house in town we'll know if he has room for another bike; hopefully so.

If this comes to pass we are going to investigate purchasing a bike here and shipping it over. It could just as easily go to UK with me riding it to Italy. Unkown the import regulations and status of forces agreements which may prohibit importation of another MC to Italy.
    Mike

USN, Retired

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants and debt is the money of slaves.

Vincenza's a great location, Mike - near to some of the best riding roads in Europe - the Italian Alps, and a stones throw from the Adriatic - doesn't get much better than that. Hope the bike export works out OK for you.
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene

Our daughter lived in the little village of Budoia for three years, 1999-2002, while we were in Hawaii. We never got a chance to visit though. Budio looks to be about 60 miles NW of Vincenza along the western base of the Dolomitis. Vincenza looks to be a much larger town.

She had a small house over a pizzeria rode her Super Glide throughout Europe. Her first ride was to Croatia, which made me a bit nervous.

Coincidentally, my father was there during WWII during the breakout through the German lines in the Po Valley.

We'll figure something out on the bike I am sure. I am not going to let the opportunity to pass again. I've been to Italy a number of times but primarily in Naples and over to Brendizi. The closest I got to northern Italy was on a cruiser. We had just dropped anchor off of Genoa for a four day visit. A few of us were going to rent a car to drive to Nice and Cannes. Before we could put the liberty boats in the water though we got a flash message to up anchor and make for Lebanon where it seems the Israeli army had the PLO cornered. So much for liberty in Genoa.
    Mike

USN, Retired

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants and debt is the money of slaves.

Just got my Rough Guide maps of Northern Spain and the Pyrenees - picking out the wiggliest roads on the mountains right now - and there is an awful lot of them
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene

OK, I'm jealous! That sounds like an awesome trip - hope it all goes well and looking forward to some pictures for those unfortunates among us you can't join in.
    The beatings will continue until Morale improves. Arrgh!

I should take a spare lifter shaft then mate??
    I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me.

How's your mother?
    She's dying.
    We all are, act accordingly.

And a spare pair of footrests I reckon
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene

Its a long way ahead Tom but I would like to join you on this one.

Thanks Steve - I'll add you to the list of possibles.

Nearer the date I shall get more accurate ferry & hotel prices etc., then contact everyone who has shown an interest.
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene