Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by punkindave View Post
    This site costs money to operate properly..
    If only a percentage of the members chipped in $20 a year (the price of a motorcycle magazine subscription) I'm sure all would be flush and happy!!
    Agreed.

Cheers Paul! What a match!!
    Installing a Dakota MCV-7400 Digital Gauge

It's always nice to meet nice people...........Wirral 2010...

Quote Originally Posted by Cryian View Post
    I'd be interested to learn how you based these figures...they appear to be mighty high considering it's an annual donation.....if it was a 'lifetime' thing then sure....but annual? Dating sites are cheaper.....or so i hear (i'm married )

So if i 'donate' $200 all i get over a non-donator is a badge thingy that says 'hey look at me i donated over $100' ......i'd sooner simply donate $30 anonymously and say 'keep ya shiny logo' rather than broadcast that i can't afford to donate $100+ .....and hey....$30 is better than $0 .....doesn't make business sense.... you'd make more money by offering a basic forum to 'all' with an additional 'members section' for $20 a year....

Either that or set your stall out and tell us how much you need to keep the site afloat on an annual basis.....

Sorry but on principal i'll not pay THAT sort of money on an annual basis....unless of course there are tangible benefits... currently it's a 'status' thing....

OK, I've stripped off the irrelevant bits and will answer your questions the best I can.

We based the figures on nothing more than a rising scale plucked out of the air. If you're going to have a rising scale you have to start somewhere, and one place is as good as another.

When you've sobered up from your celebrations, have a think about what you said re a lifetime donation. That could not possibly assist with yearly running costs unless we received so much money we could invest it and operate from the profits. We have to have a yearly income or the forum will not exist in the future. The general feeling on the forum when we dipped our toes into gauging opinion was that personal donations were preferred to commercial sponsorship. If it turns out that personal donations will not cover our costs, then we WILL seek commercial sponsorship. If that fails too, the forum will fold. That is definite.

You do not have to donate $200 - nobody does - it is voluntary. If you want to overtly show your support, $10 will get you there. I'm sure even the most cash strapped member could afford 6 GBP if they wanted to - that's about the price of a gallon of petrol in the UK. But it is still only voluntary. No one is forcing anyone. Bishop, Flydive and myself have financed us so far, out of our own pockets and it is true, we would like to see our money back one day, if possible. It is by no means certain that we will ever get it back, but we entered into this knowing that. We said from the beginning that we were aiming to break even after 2 years, and our over riding aim was first and foremost to get the forum to a position where it would be self financing, so its long term future was assured.

You said that you would prefer to donate $30 anonymously, and not have the logo. Fair enough - do not use the forum links and make your payment directly to r3owners@hotmail.co.uk from a paypal account - that will ensure that there will be no automatic logo. If you have no paypal account, pm me and I will send you details of the company bank account so you can pay in from any branch of any British bank.

We did consider (briefly) a members only section where all of the useful technical stuff could be found, and just leaving the chit chat sections free, but quickly came to the decision not to. This is not a direction we want to go. We recognise that not everyone has the means to pay yet another bill, however small, or maybe they have some moral objection to funding a forum, and we do not want to exclude such people, or make them somehow second class.

Our motives throughout have been altruistic, and we would prefer them to remain that way. The result is that yes, as I said in the first post on this topic, all you get is a shiney badge and bugger all else. That in turn means that those who choose not to financially support the forum, for whatever reason, can get everything for nothing. That is the price you pay for altruism.

The truth is, I do not know how much money we will need on an annual basis because we have not yet gone through a complete financial year. We have upcoming costs for accountancy, corporation tax liability and for auditors. If we do not raise enough for these, whatever they might be, then once again, Bishop, Flydive and me will dig into our pockets, at least for the first year, which we are committed to.

If it is your principle that stops you from supporting a site you seem to enjoy (otherwise why would you be here still?) then fine. Absolutely fine. Continue to enjoy the forum. And I don't really know what you mean by "THAT sort of money" The price of a gallon of petrol?
    Last edited by owl; 23rd May 2010 at 06:48 AM.
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

Street Cruiser
    Thanks for that Tom, my curiosity is sated
    Victory High Ball
    Ex Owner 08 Rocket Touring B/W
    73 AT3 Yamaha 125cc Blue
    Velocette LE x 2
    Owl's award stealer

administrators : paid with thanks , your ever down this end of the woods call in .
    weapon of mass acceleration ... keeping the law busy since 1961

Ha - i actually made my donation 40 mins before your post Tom

Was struggling to work out the math - as i was hammered. But you'll see what i mean in my PM...

World SuperBike Racer
    wondered about where and how to get one of them shiney new piston dohickeys.
    Thanks for the post, cause I sure wasn't finding it on my own by just looking around.
    Still having a bugger of a time trying to find everything on this new format we've adopted.
    I'll just pay come payday, and don't need the shiney dohickey now that I realize its a color coded, status symbol.
    Its a good idea, just not for me.
    Thanks for the work and time you guys put into seeing this through for ALL of us.
    Xhdskip
    ..BE WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE,
    ..........................AND SAY WHAT YOU
    MEAN,,,
    BECAUSE THOSE THAT MATTER DON'T MIND,
    AND THOSE THAT
    MIND, DON'T MATTER........

I can make them all the same color if that is what the majority wishes.
    Aidoneus Bishop
    2005 Rocket III
    Who am I rolling with? Wild Wise School of Outdoor Adventure

We can always have a poll in a seperate thread to get the majority view?
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

Or I can even come up with more designs, the one being used is by now means the final answer. We could do just a simple gold bar above the helmets with no text for any level of support. Or we could do one like the admin, deep thought, etc. badges that just says Supporter with perhaps a golden helmet.

The possibilities are limited only by my Photoshop abilities and lack of artistic talent.
    Aidoneus Bishop
    2005 Rocket III
    Who am I rolling with? Wild Wise School of Outdoor Adventure

Oh my God... i didn't realise they were Pistons - i honestly thought they were shovels...

I'm going Tea-Total....