Lightbulb Sub-Forum Filtering How-To

Intro

This guide is to help you setup your browser to filter out specific search results from view using a user script.

The original reason for this being developed was that some may find the "Politics and Religion" sub-forum an unnecessary distraction and would sooner use this forum for bike talk only. The P&R sub forum can get a little heated at times, with the posters being very passionate about what they are discussing.

The default operation of the script is to filter out all posts in search results that come from the "Politics and Religion" sub-forum, however with some minor tweaks it can filter out one or more other sub-forums as well or instead off.

Prerequisites & Compatibility
    The user script (javascript for dynamic html) either requires an install of the "GreaseMonkey" addon in Firefox or the "TamperMonkey" extension in Google Chrome. I will not be supporting other browsers but it's likely most others will be fine...I won't ever support Internet Explorer unless it works without any extra effort!

Installation

Step 1

First thing to do once the pre-requisites are covered is to head over to the user script site and install the user script. The script can be found on this page: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/180821

To install the script just click on install like below

Step 2

Once the script is installed make sure it is enabled.

For GreaseMonkey first expand the menu and click "Manage User Scripts":

You'll then see the following or similar, make sure the script is enabled like so:

For TamperMonkey first expand the menu and click "Dashboard":

You'll then see the following or similar, make sure the script is enabled like so:

Step 3

Open any search results and notice nothing from the "Politics and Religion" sub-forum is there, something like this:

Editing The Sub-Forums To Hide

The script by default hides P&R only but could be changed to hide other sub-forums by changing the text in the FORUM_HIDE_LIST variable at the top of the script...for example you could hide everything except P&R if you're that way inclined This line here:

HTML Code:
    var FORUM_HIDE_LIST = "Politics and Religion"
    For example if you wanted to hide "Food & Drink" and "General Chat" you would use this instead (use commas to seperate):

HTML Code:
    var FORUM_HIDE_LIST = "Food & Drink, General Chat"
    You can get the script source from the website and are welcome to make your own and upload it under a new user/page, then load it as explained above but from the alternative page you setup...

I hope this is helpful to some out there, feel free to comment, ask questions or make requests, I'll do what I can
    Mark

HowTo Filter Out P&R Postings

Rocket III Roadster (Phantom Black)
    KTM SMT 2011 (White)
    "4 Wheels Move The Body, 2 Wheels Move The Soul"

Mark, you should be put up for Honorary Admin of the Year for this!
    A Man's Reach Should Always Exceed His Grasp

Lol, it was something interesting to get my head into for a couple of evenings, maybe it helps someone...I don't use it...yet
    Mark

HowTo Filter Out P&R Postings

Rocket III Roadster (Phantom Black)
    KTM SMT 2011 (White)
    "4 Wheels Move The Body, 2 Wheels Move The Soul"

Spain - Pretty much smack in the middle of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    Lol, it was something interesting to get my head into for a couple of evenings, maybe it helps someone...I don't use it...yet
    Christ - and I thought I was "geeky". That's simply brilliant, mate. Off to install.

Installed - we don't talk much about bikes do we?
    November 2015. For a whole series of reasons - I am retiring from Forum Life. I've been testing my resolve to live without using them - and feel better for it. Yes I will miss the contact I have with folk around the world - but my life is changing - and I am moving on. Certain forum members have my email address and I will see emails - but I will not be returning to the forum and will not attend PM's. Stay well all.

Street Cruiser
    Well done sir

Very impressive Mr. K.