Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    What I don't understand though is that the members throwing the insults are an older generation who should know better...they grew up in the "good old days" of mutual respect etc...there are no excuses for thier behaviour IMHO
    The newer generation don't know a flippin' thing so have no opinion.
    Mike

USN, Retired

“Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants and debt is the money of slaves.”

Street Racer
    What I don't understand though is that the members throwing the insults are an older generation who should know better...they grew up in the "good old days" of mutual respect etc...there are no excuses for thier behaviour IMHO

I appreciate that for sure, it's almost funny seeing an old man post like a teenager in a bad mood
    You see, when you make an observation about members throwing insults, a valid observation, and then follow it up with comments about old men acting like teenagers in a bad mood, you make it quite difficult to separate them from yourself.

I guess that if we are all going to make an effort to curb the insults and foul language that now would be a good time to start.

That said, I wonder if the effort won't neuter the beast. Polite discussions about politics and religion, especially amongst all us old men? It'll be interesting to see how that develops. Might go the way Owl hoped and the section may die from boredom. Hope I'm wrong. Sure wouldn't be the first time.
    Harry

2008 Rocket 3 Touring
    142 HP/149 TQ

Pizza Delivery
    Ditto that.

Pizza Delivery
    Quote Originally Posted by GPM View Post
    You see, when you make an observation about members throwing insults, a valid observation, and then follow it up with comments about old men acting like teenagers in a bad mood, you make it quite difficult to separate them from yourself.

I guess that if we are all going to make an effort to curb the insults and foul language that now would be a good time to start.

That said, I wonder if the effort won't neuter the beast. Polite discussions about politics and religion, especially amongst all us old men? It'll be interesting to see how that develops. Might go the way Owl hoped and the section may die from boredom. Hope I'm wrong. Sure wouldn't be the first time.
    No. It's not the same. Please try to understand. Calling or even accusing someone of acting like a "teenager in a bad mood" is much better then cursing them out.

Street Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam2959 View Post
    No. It's not the same. Please try to understand. Calling or even accusing someone of acting like a "teenager in a bad mood" is much better then cursing them out.
    Please try to understand? I must seem quite the dim bulb, eh? No matter. My point was that calling someone an old man acting like a teenager in a bad mood is an insult. It wasn't about degree, but about intent.

Time will tell how our kinder, gentler mode of discourse develops.
    Harry

2008 Rocket 3 Touring
    142 HP/149 TQ

Dirt Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GPM View Post
    .............. calling someone an old man acting like a teenager in a bad mood is an insult. It wasn't about degree, but about intent.

As the oldest member here (?) I reckon I might take it as such, too.

But Bishop has already asked to "let it go" .... so let's do that..

The Old(est?) Fart.

Super Moderator
    Let me be the first to remind Ruzzle that I am over 4000 years old. Hands down, kaivalagi is one of the kindest hearted, level headed posters in this entire forum. He sad nothing so offensive that it should "hurt" anyone's feelings here. In fact, it's pretty dam good constructive criticism.....grow some thicker skin, girls. I care about each and every one of ya's here and, I don't think the P&R forum will be for poofs when we've set the rules. It will still be a strong forum and an interesting forum to debate in, as always.
    Yea Baby!!!! It's only Rock n' Roll, but I like it