Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spain - Pretty much smack in the middle of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I believe it is Bavarian, which is the South East of Germany but stretches to the Swiss/French border (although I'm by no means an expert)
    Good God man - you'll start a war if you say that there.

It's historically SWABIA (Schwaben in German) now part of Baden-Württemberg, of which Württemberg is normally considered part of Swabia. To the east of Baden-Württemberg is the state of Bavaria in which is also a bit of SWABIA. Call a Schwab a Bavarian and ....... god it doesn't bear thinking about.

MUCH BETTER WINE THAN BAVARIA. Some tremendous views of lake Titisee from the 500.
    November 2015. For a whole series of reasons - I am retiring from Forum Life. I've been testing my resolve to live without using them - and feel better for it. Yes I will miss the contact I have with folk around the world - but my life is changing - and I am moving on. Certain forum members have my email address and I will see emails - but I will not be returning to the forum and will not attend PM's. Stay well all.

Thanks Chris.

I've had a look, and they don't seem to have an English language section like our Swedish colleagues do on their forum.

My German language skills were learned from comics back in the 60's. OK if I want them to hold their hands up, or surrender, but that's about it.

Last time I was there, I pointed to something at random from a restaurant menu, and ended up with bread & dripping Think I might invest in a phrase book this time.

I'll endeavoutr to send you an email this evening.
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

Thanks Chris.

I've had a look, and they don't seem to have an English language section like our Swedish colleagues do on their forum.

My German language skills were learned from comics back in the 60's. OK if I want them to hold their hands up, or surrender, but that's about it.

Last time I was there, I pointed to something at random from a restaurant menu, and ended up with bread & dripping Think I might invest in a phrase book this time.

We'll pickup some fraulines and let them order for us..... Perhaps a phrase book would be better thinking about it.

Sent from SYDland......
    Regards,

-Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by LMG View Post
    We'll pickup some fraulines and let them order for us..... Perhaps a phrase book would be better thinking about it.
    I wonder if the phrase book will have "You don't sweat much for a fat lass!"?
    November 2015. For a whole series of reasons - I am retiring from Forum Life. I've been testing my resolve to live without using them - and feel better for it. Yes I will miss the contact I have with folk around the world - but my life is changing - and I am moving on. Certain forum members have my email address and I will see emails - but I will not be returning to the forum and will not attend PM's. Stay well all.

Thanks Chris.

Tom put the link into chrome and get it in english
    R3 tourer 08
    Hayabusa 02
    All on the road
    waiting to restore
    YDS7 (two stroke)

Quote Originally Posted by hayabusa View Post
    Tom put the link into chrome and get it in english
    Is that the chat up line he's supposed to use?

Sent from SYDland......
    Regards,

-Leigh

About the only phrases I can remember from my schoolboy German are "Haben Sie schwestern?" and "Ist deine tochter uber achtzehn?" and "Ich habe eine pumpernickel in meiner lederhose."

Please feel free to use them if you find them helpful.

You've got a piece of fruit in your shorts? Not sure if that will be beneficial asking for directions to the gas station.

Sent from SYDland......
    Regards,

-Leigh

I think the first two might be "Are you sweaty" and "Is your daughter over age"
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

The dangers of translations - "Drop your panties, Sir William, I cannot wait 'til lunchtime."