Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Black Forest Blat

I have decided that I have to visit the Black Forest to ride the famous B500, which runs 40 miles from Baden Baden to Freudenstadt, and is regarded as Germany’s most iconic and beautiful road, and a nirvana for motorcyclists.

The road carves its way down the middle of the forest and wriggles up and over mountain passes with beautiful scenery, spectacular views over the Rhine and roller coaster turns.
    It can get very busy at weekends and in high summer, which is why I will be visiting mid week in June.

The weather can be unpredictable, but I’ll take my chance.

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...t--_5b710.html

http://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-10...route_ID=20007

I am not organising a forum trip like I did for Le Grande Tour a few years ago, just letting you know what I will be doing, and inviting anyone else who wants to accompany me to book themselves a channel crossing and accommodation for the nights they wish to stay.

We could get together in the evenings and decide what to do the next day on an ad hoc basis, either as a group, or to go our own ways to explore the region.

I plan to ride down there on Monday 15th June 2015, stay for 4 nights and ride back on Friday 19th.

I will be staying at the Pension Williams, a guest house run by an English couple which is just a few minutes away from the B500 in Seebach.

My idea is that if anyone else wants to go, they can book their own crossing, book their own accommodation, staying for however long they choose, returning when they want, and book their own return.

I don’t mind riding down in company, but there is no pressure to ride at my pace, or on my chosen route.

You could decide to take a more scenic route there or back, for example, or stay for fewer days, or more days, or go on from Germany to somewhere else before returning to the UK. I envisage a ‘please yourself’ sort of trip.

The accommodation:

I have booked myself a room already, but this is a popular guest house, and although they have 11 rooms, it will fill up quickly, so if you linger, then decide you want to go, you may have to arrange accommodation elsewhere (there seem to be plenty of options in the area though).

They require a 10% deposit with a booking, which you can make over the phone with a credit card – their number, calling from the UK is 0049 7842 2853 – ask for Angela Williams.

http://www.pension-williams.com/

2015 prices are based on a stay of 3 or more nights and include breakfast:

Twin room with east facing balcony, with en-suite shower/toilet and TV. Price 30,00 € per person per night plus Kurtaxe of 1,50 € per person per night.

Double or Twin room with south facing balcony, en-suite shower/toilet and TV. Price 33,00 € per person per night plus Kurtaxe of 1,50 € per person per night.

The crossing:

I have booked a Eurotunnel crossing from http://tickets.eurotunnel.com/booking/fare.asp

Out at 0820 hours on Monday and return at 2150 hours on Friday for £48 return.

The route:

It is 408 miles and 5 hours 35 minutes from Calais to Seebach on the French motorways, but you would have to pay around £30 in tolls, and petrol is more expensive in France, so I have decided to go via Belgium and Luxembourg, which is around 420 miles and about 6 hours 25 minutes or 413 miles and 7 hours 45 minutes, depending on which site you use for mapping, but there will be no tolls and cheaper fuel.

Anyone game? (Also posted on the Bikes & Mates UK site)
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

Say Hi to Baumholder for me as you whiz by it.
    Hope = Wishful thinking without action

Sometimes it's best to burn a bridge and use the glowing embers to light the path ahead.

21 Years Retired Army
    Been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything....

Retired Rocket III Captain (Hell On Wheels)

Current rides:
    2015 F6B
    2012 DR650SE

An excellent adventure Mr. Owl. Good luck to you and all who ride with you. Take pictures....
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries
    28 bikes...and counting...

R3T States I have visited...

I'm going!

Sent from SYDland.....
    Regards,

-Leigh

With me & Leigh booked, that leaves the following rooms free (I told you they fill up quickly!)

1 Twin room with east facing balcony, with en-suite shower/toilet and TV. Price 30,00 € per person per night plus Kurtaxe of 1,50 € per person per night.

3 Double or Twin rooms with south facing balcony, en-suite shower/toilet and TV. Price 33,00 € per person per night plus Kurtaxe of 1,50 € per person per night.
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene

I hear they have really good ham.
    Aidoneus Bishop
    2005 Rocket III
    Who am I rolling with? Wild Wise School of Outdoor Adventure

I visited the Black Forest maybe 25 years ago - really excellent sausage & ham menus, and schnappes to die for - loads of flavours, my favourite at the time was plum.

I'm told that there are schnappes stations along the B500 with honesty boxes for payment. Not sure that would improve my riding though.
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I visited the Black Forest maybe 25 years ago - really excellent sausage & ham menus, and schnappes to die for - loads of flavours, my favourite at the time was plum.

I'm told that there are schnappes stations along the B500 with honesty boxes for payment. Not sure that would improve my riding though.
    The b 500 isn't in the bavarian region is it? Bavarian 'national' dish is knuckle of pork and a dumpling. Both are humongous.

I agree - the drinking will have to be done at base camp as if the road is a bikers heaven then the rozzers will be out in force.

L

Sent from SYDland.....
    Regards,

-Leigh

Hope = Wishful thinking without action

Sometimes it's best to burn a bridge and use the glowing embers to light the path ahead.

21 Years Retired Army
    Been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything....

Retired Rocket III Captain (Hell On Wheels)

Current rides:
    2015 F6B
    2012 DR650SE

I believe it is Bavarian, which is the South East of Germany but stretches to the Swiss/French border (although I'm by no means an expert)
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene