Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    I'm on board for the tank of gas. Is this Rocket gas or SUV gas? Just curious.
    Borh if you tell me you were offended by my extremely racial comments,
    MEX TO THE MAX

Street Racer
    Although I've never heard the term, surprising I guess given where I live, the issue does appear to fit a rather new paradigm. Years ago, something was considered offensive if the person uttering the term was deemed to intend to offend. These days things seem to have shifted to the person hearing something. If they feel a term was offensive then the person using the term is held responsible.

A good example, the other day some actor being interviewed used the term 'colored'. There was a big outcry and he apologized profusely. He has since been defended by those who know him as one of the least prejudiced people they know. Evidently he has spoken out at length on the diversity issue in other venues. No matter, his choice of words, used with no intent to offend, required him to apologize. The requirement to constantly defend oneself for language used doesn't seem to have permeated all cultures yet as evidenced by the language often used by the likes of Al Sharpton.
    Harry

2008 Rocket 3 Touring
    142 HP/149 TQ

Quote Originally Posted by GPM View Post
    Although I've never heard the term, surprising I guess given where I live, the issue does appear to fit a rather new paradigm. Years ago, something was considered offensive if the person uttering the term was deemed to intend to offend. These days things seem to have shifted to the person hearing something. If they feel a term was offensive then the person using the term is held responsible.

A good example, the other day some actor being interviewed used the term 'colored'. There was a big outcry and he apologized profusely. He has since been defended by those who know him as one of the least prejudiced people they know. Evidently he has spoken out at length on the diversity issue in other venues. No matter, his choice of words, used with no intent to offend, required him to apologize. The requirement to constantly defend oneself for language used doesn't seem to have permeated all cultures yet as evidenced by the language often used by the likes of Al Sharpton.
    Good one Harry. The use of terms to refer to people of other races or ethnic groups has become very rigid and controlled by the PC media. Thus the terms Negro, colored and now even black are now off limits. I wonder when the NAACP is going to change its name.

While stationed in Pearl Harbor in the late sixties I heard the term "haole" used in different contexts. It generally meant "a non Hawaiian". While it is generally defined as a "neutral descriptive term" it could also be used in a disparaging manner as in "Hey haole boy, wanna beef?" That was generally followed by a sock in the head. I'm sure you recall the Japanese term that they used for outsiders" gaigin" I can't recall the exact spelling at first thought it was a derogatory term.

I first heard the term "gringo" from the Mexican-Americans who worked for my dad back in the 60s and it was never used in a disparaging way. The Mexican-American guys in boot camp also used it. I just was one, a non-Mexican. Now pendejo had a decidedly different meaning.
    Mike

USN, Retired

“Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants and debt is the money of slaves.”

Quote Originally Posted by MEXICAN View Post
    Both if you tell me you were offended by my extremely racial comments,

Ahhh, fuck it, Lupe! I like you and all, but, FREE GAS??? O.K, now I'm offended! So, I'm in, right, amigo?

BTW, I just have the one motorcycle, but three SUVs! That's four tank loads you owe me and given that the prices are so barato where you are, I'll have to insist that you deliver!!!
    A Man's Reach Should Always Exceed His Grasp

Quote Originally Posted by MEXICAN View Post
    Both if you tell me you were offended by my extremely racial comments,

Ahhh, fuck it, Lupe! I like you and all, but, hey... FREE GAS??? O.K, now I'm offended! So, I'm in, right, amigo?

BTW, I just have the one motorcycle, but three SUVs! That's four tank loads you owe me and given that the prices are so barato out where you are, I'll have to insist that you deliver!!!
    A Man's Reach Should Always Exceed His Grasp

Street Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Good one Harry. The use of terms to refer to people of other races or ethnic groups has become very rigid and controlled by the PC media. Thus the terms Negro, colored and now even black are now off limits. I wonder when the NAACP is going to change its name.

While stationed in Pearl Harbor in the late sixties I heard the term "haole" used in different contexts. It generally meant "a non Hawaiian". While it is generally defined as a "neutral descriptive term" it could also be used in a disparaging manner as in "Hey haole boy, wanna beef?" That was generally followed by a sock in the head. I'm sure you recall the Japanese term that they used for outsiders" gaigin" I can't recall the exact spelling at first thought it was a derogatory term.

I first heard the term "gringo" from the Mexican-Americans who worked for my dad back in the 60s and it was never used in a disparaging way. The Mexican-American guys in boot camp also used it. I just was one, a non-Mexican. Now pendejo had a decidedly different meaning.
    I agree entirely. I'm never sure what I'm supposed to say to black people these days (my sister in law is Gambian black and says she doesn't care how I refer to her, but I would never knowingly insult her). When Benedict Cumberbatch got a pasting for saying 'coloured' I was surprised because I thought coloured was okay. Just shows I'm behind the times. Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear got caught out using the 'n' word in 'eanie meanie' because it's the way we still remember it, not because we think of it as an insult.

The world's gone mad.

Incidentally, I don't sense the phrase 'pinche gringo' being necessarily insulting in the way that, say, the 'n' word is (bloody Mexican Spanish is so different to the real thing!)and I never got the impression that Lupe is the sort of person knowingly to insult anybody gratuitously. (Do I get that free fuel? UK prices too!)
    Last edited by travellingman; 28th January 2015 at 01:41 PM.

Aidoneus Bishop
    2005 Rocket III
    Who am I rolling with? Wild Wise School of Outdoor Adventure

I declare I was really, really insulted by the pincho gringo thing that Lupe posted. (after I looked it up on the internet).

I have 1 car and 2 bikes - takes about $200 of fuel at UK prices - pm me, Lupe, and I'll send you my bank details, which will save you delivery costs.
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

Lol, you guys crack me up...

Political correctness has gone mad....we're all good on here I think, bury the hatchet for sure
    Mark

HowTo Filter Out P&R Postings

Rocket III Roadster (Phantom Black)
    KTM SMT 2011 (White)
    "4 Wheels Move The Body, 2 Wheels Move The Soul"

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I declare I was really, really insulted by the pincho gringo thing that Lupe posted. (after I looked it up on the internet).

I have 1 car and 2 bikes - takes about $200 of fuel at UK prices - pm me, Lupe, and I'll send you my bank details, which will save you delivery costs.
    Ok, now Owl, i never said anything about paying for over seas prices, and never said anything about delivery, bring your vehicles here and i will fill them up, and while we wait for the pump to stop running will do a good Mexican cookout, Just like we did 2 years ago when a bunch of guys showed up to my house, don't belive me? ask Lonzol, Mindy, Skip, Dusty Rose, Stripes, MB, Skydog1000, Warp9.9, Tripletrouble Tripps, Ogre, Rocket scientist Melissa,,, it was a great get together and no Gringos were harmed
    MEX TO THE MAX