Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, Iron Butt SS1000 #3 was accomplished last Thursday. Departed home at 4am to go to my start point in Richmond. Got my gas receipt a little after 5am and headed west in a light rain. Broke out of the rain shortly on IH-64 West but slowed to a crawl going over Afton Mountain Pass in incredibly thick fog.

Uneventful until I crossed into Illinois where a convoy moving a large cracking tower (used in refineries) interrupted my pace. The 10 mile backup crawled at 35 mph when they weren't stopping for an overpass. Lost a good hour until I reached an exit with an appropriate side road.

The most interesting part of the trip was once I reached St. Louis. O'Fallon is about 20 miles west of downtown on IH-70 and was my designated turnaround point. Just a few miles out of downtown traffic came to a standstill for an accident up ahead. I idled there in the center lane while watching the dark clouds rolling in from the southwest. Sure enough it opened up on me. All was fine in the torrential downpour until the hail started. Screw this, I weaved to the shoulder and headed for an exit. Upon reaching and taking the first exit I thought of seeking out a gas station to hide under. That idea persisted until I looked up and read "Downtown Ferguson" on the road sign. Me thinks, "ah hell no" and pointed the beast back to the service road to seek out a bridge. 10 minutes later the storm passed and I was able to continue to my turnaround stop in O'Fallon.

I waited for about an hour to let the rapidly moving storms to clear the east side of St. Louis and move out along IH-70 East where my destination of Casey, IL was located. The rest of the ride out was dry but cool and getting to be about midnight. I reached Casey a little after 1am.

Then it happened. There's always something unexpected that occurs on a SS1000. The route was carefully laid out to be 1,010 miles. When I reached the Casey exit, I was 23 miles short of 1,000 (the required minimum odometer reading). It dawned on me that I had adjusted the speedo last year to correct the speed reading. Only now it was apparent that it had also affected the odometer making it read a little slow. So back on the highway to retrace my path to the previous exit which was right at 10 miles away. Out and back, 20 miles, damn, still 3 miles short. So off to the north on a very dark road to get my required mileage. Rolled into the gas station for my completion receipt at 1:30 am. Checked into the hotel and collapsed but satisfied with the run.

Below is my route as captured on Spotwalla using the Bubbler GPS app on my android phone (iPhone users can download SW Connect for the same features).

-------------------------------------
    06 Triumph Rocket III
    15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #42146

The final posted count was 3,061 burgers served. Below is a 360 shot of the crossroads.

06 Triumph Rocket III
    15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #42146

Well done TD... You possess the "Buns of Steel"

Hate encountering bad weather on a long motorcycle trip. Always going to encounter it. I can't remember a ride out of my locale where I haven't...

I clicked on one of your pic's... am rewarded with seeing the rest of them in the photo album
    Hope = Wishful thinking without action

Sometimes it's best to burn a bridge and use the glowing embers to light the path ahead.

21 Years Retired Army
    Been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything....

Retired Rocket III Captain (Hell On Wheels)

Current rides:
    2015 F6B
    2012 DR650SE

This was also an opportunity to meet some the the rock stars of the long distance riding community. Chatted a couple of hours Friday night with Tim Yow (www.timyow.com). Unbelievable.

Also got to meet and chat with Will Barclay, the world record holder for the Ultimate Coast to Coast Run (Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, Florida). He completed the run in 80 hours and 2 minutes, shattering the previous record by over 8 hours.

06 Triumph Rocket III
    15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #42146

Lastly, I saw some interesting feats of franken-engineering, all geared towards extreme long distance riding.

And, finally, my reward for the 16th longest ride in...

06 Triumph Rocket III
    15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #42146

Grand Prix Champion blastedbones's Avatar
    Well done mate!!! ... but WAS there Moonshine??

congrats!..and hats off to ya tman..you guys are made of better stuff than me for sure..
    06 standard--trips--preds--tuneboy
    ......rollin' like it's stolen......

Congrats!!
    DC - (57209)