Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pizza Delivery

Anybody else homebrew?

I've been brewing for 4 1/2 years.

In fact I'm going to go start heating the water for a hefeweizen right about........now.

Grand Prix Champion blastedbones's Avatar
    Me! I grain brew.. Just got a beautiful hoppy ale & an imperial stout kegged & ready. About to do a lager style beer this week, as it's winter here now, & JUST about cold enough for lager yeast....

I used to. But a lot of work. Have to keep everything sanitized for sure; and squeaky clean. Lest you develop a wild yeast infection.

Had an ex-acquaintance awhile back who's 5 gallon carboy blew up in the living room; 5 gallons of fermenting black stout all over the place. Got to keep a watchful eye on that airlock...
    Hope = Wishful thinking without action

Sometimes it's best to burn a bridge and use the glowing embers to light the path ahead.

21 Years Retired Army
    Been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything....

Retired Rocket III Captain (Hell On Wheels)

Current rides:
    2015 F6B
    2012 DR650SE

10 years ago was making "red" lager.
    Easier in cooler months.
    House smells a bit yeasty for a week.
    Figured out a decent drink, but really a long tedious 3 day's work. SUPER clean environment or failure.

Easier and cheaper to just buy Red Trolley, Stella, and St Paulis girl.
    Phil

Retired
    Most Southwestern Rocket III in the lower 48
    San Diego on the LEFT COAST

Quote Originally Posted by pjsmithres View Post
    10 years ago was making "red" lager.
    Easier in cooler months.
    House smells a bit yeasty for a week.
    Figured out a decent drink, but really a long tedious 3 day's work. SUPER clean environment or failure.

Easier and cheaper to just buy Red Trolley, Stella, and St Paulis girl.
    This is true. The cost and effort expended by making your own brew; is trumped by this present age microbrews on the market.

However (just like hunting) it is tremendously satisfying to bring something to (the table) or glass; of your own work. From start to finish.

There are A LOT of recipes out there for beer. My favorite and most simplest was just a honey beer. You have to AT LEAST let it condition for three weeks after bottling; but I found it VERY hard to do so. By the end of the second week, I was sampling. At the end of the third week.. it was all gone. It got better as it conditioned... but it was too much to resist.

I have a lot of hobbies that I would like to take up again; fishing, beer making, etc.... hopefully I'll live to a ripe old age in retirement and enjoy those pastimes.

Right now... work trumps all my other interests. Hate it.

Sometimes it's best to burn a bridge and use the glowing embers to light the path ahead.

21 Years Retired Army

Current rides:
    2015 F6B
    2012 DR650SE

Reasonable beer can be bought in the states SOoooo much cheaper than over here... boutique beers sell for $5 for a tiny 330ml bottle & $9 in the cafes/bars
    So ~$15 a litre... I brew up to 200L batches ( 2 mashes for that volume) at a cost of about $1.50-$2/L.. Obviously not including the cost of equipment, but it's a hobby! Also my beer is also fermented for a lot longer than commercial, so I brew out that syrupy sweetness a lot of store bought beers have.

Quote Originally Posted by blastedbones View Post
    Reasonable beer can be bought in the states SOoooo much cheaper than over here... boutique beers sell for $5 for a tiny 330ml bottle & $9 in the cafes/bars
    So ~$15 a litre... I brew up to 200L batches ( 2 mashes for that volume) at a cost of about $1.50-$2/L.. Obviously not including the cost of equipment, but it's a hobby! Also my beer is also fermented for a lot longer than commercial, so I brew out that syrupy sweetness a lot of store bought beers have.
    Once you have invested in the equipment; it pays for itself (particularly in your case Bones...)

Certainly for a good brew; I bet that it is a necessity for you down under.... to keep it under wraps; less your government finds out what you're up to... and sends in the black helicopters for loss of governmental profit!

I think we have a law over here that says you cannot brew more than 400 gallons in a given year. As much as I like beer. I think I'm well under that restriction. I think. Maybe. Dunno...

21 Years Retired Army

Current rides:
    2015 F6B
    2012 DR650SE

Pizza Delivery
    It's not about cost for me. I like to brew a traditional style and then compare my beer side by side with what is considered to be the best or one of the best commercial examples of that style. When I can honestly say that I think my beer turned out better that's a great amount of satisfaction. I love it as a hobby, because you can take your attention to detail to the extreme and are almost always rewarded for your efforts. On the flip side, you can take a simple ingredient kit and just blindly follow the directions as if you were baking a cake and still turn out a darn good beer.

Having said that, I think it's time to go consume one or three. Tonight it will be an American IPA, a butterscotch ale and a Belgian Dubbel.

Here in San Diego there are a hundred microbrews that are making most any flavor available. The satisfaction of making your own is strong.

Price isn't the big deal/\.

I'm thinking of branching out to wine.
    Takes much more time, though. Retirement gives me time.

I do have a friend that has four 10 gallon bottles in progress (various stages) and about 40 gallons bottled up for drinking. about 100 gallons bottled and settling.

Might be too long to wait.
    Phil

Retired
    Most Southwestern Rocket III in the lower 48
    San Diego on the LEFT COAST

Quote Originally Posted by pjsmithres View Post

Might be too long to wait.
    Patience Grasshopper!