Gettysburg Bike week begin Thursday July 9

I will be staying at the Granite Hills campground like last year if anyone wants to drop by. I will be with a few others who have a Cougar toy hauler. Out during the day, Sipping Virginia Spring water after the concerts...
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries
    28 bikes...and counting...

R3T States I have visited...

I'd like to come up again. Please let me know more info via PM...
    Hope = Wishful thinking without action

Sometimes it's best to burn a bridge and use the glowing embers to light the path ahead.

21 Years Retired Army
    Been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything....

Retired Rocket III Captain (Hell On Wheels)

Current rides:
    2015 F6B
    2012 DR650SE

Here is the website if interested: http://www.gettysburgbikeweek.com/
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries

I'm planning on heading up on Saturday for the day. It would be good to catch up sometime.

I met Dave Becker yesterday, he rides a 2009 two tone blue R3T
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries

Bobby, as much as I wanted to today (Saturday) I just got too much to do around here, in prep for the outlaws (inlaws) arrival; before we head out on another Carribean cruise next week.

DEFINITELY good riding weather today for once. This has been the WETTEST summer that I can remember up here.
    Hope = Wishful thinking without action

Sometimes it's best to burn a bridge and use the glowing embers to light the path ahead.

21 Years Retired Army
    Been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything....

Retired Rocket III Captain (Hell On Wheels)

Current rides:
    2015 F6B
    2012 DR650SE

As I wrote before, we stayed at the Granite Hills Campground where the atmosphere is great after a long day of riding. They could use better motorcycle roads though as gravel and ruts are tough on any bike.
    We arrived Thursday afternoon dodging a few thunderstorms; rain gear was required to keep the rain off though we were soaked regardless due to sweating. My buddy pulling his toy hauler/camper (complete with required Harley resting in the back) shredded a back tire on his pickup which in turn bent his fender in behind the tire and removed a chunk on metal forward of it. It was a good thing those of us riding were far behind him when it happened, as I am sure some of us would have shat ourselves when it blew if we were next to it. Still, the two-hour ride from Virginia to Gettysburg was great.
    We set up the campsite and cooked our supper on the grill. However, when it came time to ride to the concert, the sky fell upon us with a vengeance. No one wanted to ride in a deluge nor stand around a muddy field to listen to music so we just lounged around the camp drinking beer and some Virginia Mountain Spring Water (apple pie); the evening ended well.
    Friday came with wonderful temperatures and a great breakfast cooked over the grill once more. We signed up for the poker run where I saw a two-tome blue R3T pull up beside the registration tent. A mountain of a man named Dave Becker got off and I introduced myself. He and his pretty lady were there to see the sites like us. I hope that we can hear more from him online.
    The poker run took us on a 65-70 mile run around the local area. With our stops and lunch, it took us about 4 hours to complete. We ate at Rube’s CrabShack in Emmitsburg, MD where I had a great burger. I didn’t do so well on the poker though, a pair of sixes just won’t win me anything.
    At the Bike Week venue on the All Star Eisenhower expo grounds, the layout worked very well with ease of walking from one lane to another. Like any bike week, one can buy just about anything motorcycle related with most farkles leaning towards the Harley crowd. Still, sport bikes were well represented and of course the apparel can be universal to some extent.
    Since the bike was somewhat dirty from the road and rain, I decided to let the girls from the International Bikini Team wash it for me. They are worthy in so many ways and they even dried the bike off. I got them to sign their calendar for me and bless them, they talked nice to this old sailor.
    The food and drinks were not overpriced, which is a great bonus for events like this. I bought a few t-shirts and a new dew rag; nothing too over the top. The concert this night was the Outlaws and they rocked us out wonderfully. They’ve been doing it for 40 years and really do put on a great show. We stayed afterwards and watched a local group called Joyride who murdered a few classics but still are worth seeing as you can tell these young guys really put their hearts into it.
    As we were gearing up to ride back to camp, a fellow rode up and told us the cops had set up a sobriety check point on the highway and made everyone leaving go through it. Since I had not drank anything for 8 hours or more, I took my buddy’s 16 daughter with me to recon the situation for the other two guys who had recently had some beer. At the checkpoint, they waved me through, maybe because the girl looks like a 10 year old due to her size and they figured they had plenty of other bikers to worry about. Anyway, I rode back to camp and got the pickup to retrieve the other two guys.
    The next morning was once more glorious from a weather and breakfast point of view. Ian (IDK) called me to let us know he was coming over from Baltimore. We fed him and proceeded to ride out. We decided not to worry about the poker run and went up into the mountains for a great ride. We took Cold Spring road from the camp to Mont Alto. This is a fun little road with lots to see and many nice twisties. Don’t over ride it though as there are spots with gravel and big potholes to avoid. On the 10MPH hairpin, the entire curve was covered with gravel and sand. Be careful! On the way back we stopped at Mr. Ed’s Elephant Museum and Candy Emporium in Orrtanna, PA. This is a great place to; eat candy, rest under a shade tree, and walk in the cool gardens. But mainly eat candy…
    An hour later found us enjoying great food at Goofy’s in Spring Grove, PA. My buddies all seem to think that the crab fries are the best thing in the world, so give that a try if you ever happen by this eatery. Just be prepared to stay awhile as they are not fast service in this place. Ian gave us a great suggestion for the return to camp trip; thanks Ian. After which, he left to go back home as he was riding to Fredericksburg the following day to help with a TPS and Tune ECU matter; what a saint this guy!
    After Ian left, (I got him to at least have one sip of Apple pie before hitting the road) we rode back to the venue to watch Jackal and then fireworks. Jackal rocks real hard but for some, their very adult themed language is a tad much. Granted, this is a biker event so that is expected. I will tip my hat to the base and guitar player as these guys really did earn their pay.
    The fireworks were great and no police checkpoint this night. Back at camp, we ended the night with more apple pie and great stories.
    Sunday morning came and we packed up and rode home. After I broke off from the rest of my party, I rode south on Highway 15 out of Leesburg. Around 4pm I spot a Rocket 3 heading north and recognized Ian once more. I called him after I made it home that night to verify it was him and it was. He said he was taking the scenic route home from Fredericksburg. I love his style as that is definitely not the most direct route. All in all this was a great trip and even though there are more Harleys than all the other bikes added together, everyone can find something fun about these events and I recommend you go to them no matter what bike you ride.

Pictures to follow...
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries

Another good write up Boog. I had a great day out there - I wish I could have made it there for a few more days, but bills have to be paid.