Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My wife unit went to our local meat shop for a couple of Fillets this past weekend.
    Was told by the shop owner they are closing up shop. Not enough business and parking is terrible.

Now we have to find a new shop with good beef. And no Lucky's doesn't cut it.

Do you have farm shops or farmers markets in the USA?

Over here, I buy my meat from either - they are essentially outlets in local rural places where the farmers/butchers can sell their produce by cutting out the middle man.

The quality is always high and you know exactly where the meat and other produce comes from.
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

Yes Owl, we do. But in my neck of the woods its mostly fruits and vegetables, and only on a Saturday or Sunday when they close off a street or two in the shopping districts.

Maybe the cattle/pig/lamb farmers are missing a trick.

The meat from local suppliers is so far above the quality you get in a supermarket it's like comparing prime cuts to a dead cat.

All they need is to rent a portion oif a farm shop, or have a stall at the weekend shopping district
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

You would think it would be a simple thing. But I'm pretty sure there are health and safety requirements/codes that state the meat must be refrigerated to a certain temperature, and the display areas must be kept separate from fish etc. and clean.

I'm sure other folks here would have more info than I.

D-

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    My wife unit went to our local meat shop for a couple of Fillets this past weekend.
    Was told by the shop owner they are closing up shop. Not enough business and parking is terrible.

Now we have to find a new shop with good beef. And no Lucky's doesn't cut it.

Well, a good slab of red meat should help take our minds off of Phil's knee!

A Man's Reach Should Always Exceed His Grasp

It's gruel and fiber until I get off the pain meds
    Phil

Retired
    Most Southwestern Rocket III in the lower 48
    San Diego on the LEFT COAST

Just think of the specimen you will be at the end of your recovery and rehab process!
    A Man's Reach Should Always Exceed His Grasp

Pizza Delivery
    The USDA has pretty much killed that kind of meat market. Between the processing, handling and inspection rules need to be a brick and mortar shop to sell meat. There are some small true butcher shops around but hard to find and pricey. Best thing is friend or family that grows their own and shares.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    The USDA has pretty much killed that kind of meat market. Between the processing, handling and inspection rules need to be a brick and mortar shop to sell meat. There are some small true butcher shops around but hard to find and pricey. Best thing is friend or family that grows their own and shares.

That's pretty much what I thought.
    I know a couple of "real" butchers, but there a drive. Gone are the days when the butcher would give the kid in the shop with his mom a raw hot dog to chew on.

A couple of years ago I was in Nebraska helping my inlaws move out of their house in small town called Henry (Population about 65.) We went out to dinner one night to a local restaurant called the "Cattlemans Club" for a steak.
    The waitress said we looked hungry and served up a "slightly" bigger steak for us. It overhung the dinner plate on both sides. Looked like it was about a 3 LB hunk of meat.
    To be honest it was gross looking at the monster sized slab of dead cow hanging off my plate.

Neither my brother in law or myself even came close to finishing it. Although we all had great steak sandwiches the following day.

D-