Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Squid

New Rocket III Rider

I have been thinking about purchasing a Triumph Rocket III Touring since 2010, but I researched many other bikes first. After test riding a Moto Guzzi, Honda Gold Wing, BMW 1600 GTL, Triumph Thunderbird LT and of course a Harley, I selected my first choice; Triumph Rocket III Touring. My first criteria was that the motorcycle fit me and felt good, which the Rocket III does far better than the others. We purchased the Rocket in the beginning of September and have been riding every opportunity I have. I have logged over a 1000 miles since then and will ride throughout the winter on nicer days.

I feel extremely comfortable and confident riding the Rocket, but I have to admit that I need much more practice making U turns. With the right technique and practice, I will master this challenge.

Any advice and/or experience is welcome about a lift/stand that fits a Rocket. I am looking for a lift/stand for the Rocket to lift the bike and move it around the garage, to perform maintenance, cleaning and be able to maneuver in the corner for storage. I seen several, but they are designed to lift bikes with a complete lower frame. I do not want to take a chance of damaging the sump. Is there a good quality, well made lift/stand designed to lift the Rocket III safely? Again, any ideas are welcomed.

Thanks,

Don

G'day and welcome. Good choice on the bike.

The bike can be lifted with regular ATV type jacks, but you will need to make or get a bracket to attach to the two holes in the frame, behind the engine, in order to give the bike good stability.

I googled motorcycle turntable and found lots of different ways to turn the bike.

There are some full bike lifts that will work. the rear tire clearance removal on standard Rockets is a challenge but the Touring may be easier

EXCEL has good stuff.

Welcome to the club
    Phil

Retired
    Most Southwestern Rocket III in the lower 48
    San Diego on the LEFT COAST

Hello Don and welcome from VA. Glad to hear you are no baby rider when it comes to cold weather. The good news is snow ill soon be a thing of the past and we all can ride all year round.
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries
    28 bikes...and counting...

R3T States I have visited...

Welcome! Perhaps something like this: http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FRCqaQodkrsBbQ I use a Craftsman motorcycle lift for wheel removal etc., but without stabilizing brackets, it wouldn't be good for moving the bike around.
    The beatings will continue until Morale improves. Arrgh!

Welcome to the forum. I use a Handy Lift with pneumatic ram for doing any work on any bike. I like having everything at eye level....
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Suzuki Titan T500
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

"Lessons in Lunacy: Confessions of a Motorcycle Nut" - Author
    "More Lessons in Lunacy: Motorcycle Nut Has A Screw Loose" - Author

IBA #54758

"Only a fool is free, and he only from wisdom." Chiun, Master of Sinanju

Street Cruiser
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by atomsplitter View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I use a Handy Lift with pneumatic ram for doing any work on any bike. I like having everything at eye level....
    Hadn't seen these before...very nice indeed. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FQuSaQodLWgDtw
    The beatings will continue until Morale improves. Arrgh!

Squid
    Thank all of you for welcoming me to our Rocket III community. And thank you for your advice regarding the lift/stand. You have offered me options I have not yet thought of. I would like a lift/stand that is versatile, that can be utilized in different applications. I will continue looking, but your suggestions have motivated me to think of more alternatives.

As my wife and I begin taking longer trips, I would like to travel to some of your locations and meet you face to face and talk motorcycles.

Again, Much Thanks

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Rich View Post
    Hadn't seen these before...very nice indeed. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FQuSaQodLWgDtw
    My version goes to 1500 lbs and has extensions available for working on ATV's. Just sayin.....
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Suzuki Titan T500
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

"Lessons in Lunacy: Confessions of a Motorcycle Nut" - Author
    "More Lessons in Lunacy: Motorcycle Nut Has A Screw Loose" - Author

IBA #54758

"Only a fool is free, and he only from wisdom." Chiun, Master of Sinanju