Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 R1200RT

2014 R1200RT

Brahma needed to go in for a constant high idle check. He has had this since early winter and after the 30K mile check in January, I thought it had been corrected but nope. Anyway, MOD gave me a 2014 R1220RT as my loner.
    The motor-mags have this bike as the best Touring Bike for 2014 and 2015 even though it is not classified as a touring specific bike. I have one gripe that says they are wrong; any bike classified as a touring bike has to be comfortable for 10-12 hours days in my book and this one wont quite make that Im afraid. But I will say it is one hell of a dang good commuter.
    For starters, I picked it up on a cold day. The heated grips are far better than the ones I tried on the 2008 R1200GS I rode in January. And the heated seat AWESOME! This bike has satellite radio and I can hear it at freeway speeds even with my full-face helmet. The dash board is easy to navigate once you get the hang of it and it has cruise control. The brakes are Brembo and seem pretty darn good. It has decent power and shifting hard into second will lift the front tire pretty effortlessly.
    The bags are all big enough to hold my full face helmet and are auto locked and unlocked by both a button on the grips and a key fob.
    Sensors tell you the tire pressure and the ambient temperature and more thing than a guy like me care to know about. But switching suspension firmness on the fly is pretty cool. I like keeping it hard myself. And the ride modes are cool too but I keep this one in Road.
    Now about that riding whining I started with; The bike tilts me forward just enough that my weight is on my hands. Not like a full on sport bike mind you, but just enough that I start to feel it about 30 minutes into the ride. The pegs are in a goo location for my 5 9 frame and the wind protection is great on my legs. The front wind screen moves up and down as one likes and is easy to find the sweet spot. On the freeway, I find it likes to ride between 75 and 80 MPH nicely and can still take on passing duties from there. The engine seems quite good for this duty. The mirrors however are not up to snuff as they vibrate so much they are unusable at speed. And they are way too low for my liking.
    It does like to be thrashed in the twisties though and it handles them with ease. Engine braking is great and I hardly need to use the brakes. Slow speed maneuvering is pretty darn good too with very tight turns at walking speed a breeze.
    The real question is would I own one of these? I think so since it is a great commuter. However, I would not trade off the R3T for it. And my next bike will most likely be a 2WD Ural. With that said, this is a nice bike over all and my complaints are really not that big of a deal as the handle bars can be changed to meet my personal requirements if I needed to.
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries
    28 bikes...and counting...

R3T States I have visited...

Beautiful and a great set of tires
    Phil

Retired
    Most Southwestern Rocket III in the lower 48
    San Diego on the LEFT COAST

Street Cruiser
    I have several friends who own the RT and all appear more than happy with it. An excellent bike, no doubt about it
    Also known as Geoff

Police departments worldwide seem very fond of them, too... http://www.policeone.com/manufacture...ce-Motorcycles
    A Man's Reach Should Always Exceed His Grasp

Street Cruiser
    I sat on an RT a couple months back. No way in hell for a long legged person to fit under those extreme leg cutouts. Wouldn't have one anyway, but was surprised since the cops riding them don't seem that small.

One thing I really like about the world of modern motorcycling is the variety of models available. But a Ural? Really? Should have zero influence on what YOU want, but I'm not sure you could give me one if the catch was I had to use it. I spend too much time reading ADVrider Ride Reports and recall a guy and his dog traveling the west in/on one. It isn't just the reliability challenge, he mentions being on a state highway in CO and only being able to maintain 35MPH uphill, holding up motorhomes, etc. No thanks.
    Another ride report a couple years back was an informal Ural rep' traveling around showing off their latest and greatest. At one point 7 or 8 of them head out on some desert dirt roads. I swear, at least half of them broke down. Every day. As in needed a tow broke down.
    You do know the 2 wheel drive is not usable on dry pavement, right?
    If you want a good head shaking laugh, read the Motorcycle Consumer News road test of the 2WD.
    Paint your Rocket camo and hook a side car to it.

See, there really is no shortage of people wanting to run your life.
    A good long ride can transport me from where I am to who I am.

Track Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketEd View Post
    I sat on an RT a couple months back. No way in hell for a long legged person to fit under those extreme leg cutouts. Wouldn't have one anyway, but was surprised since the cops riding them don't seem that small.

One thing I really like about the world of modern motorcycling is the variety of models available. But a Ural? Really? Should have zero influence on what YOU want, but I'm not sure you could give me one if the catch was I had to use it. I spend too much time reading ADVrider Ride Reports and recall a guy and his dog traveling the west in/on one. It isn't just the reliability challenge, he mentions being on a state highway in CO and only being able to maintain 35MPH uphill, holding up motorhomes, etc. No thanks.
    Another ride report a couple years back was an informal Ural rep' traveling around showing off their latest and greatest. At one point 7 or 8 of them head out on some desert dirt roads. I swear, at least half of them broke down. Every day. As in needed a tow broke down.
    You do know the 2 wheel drive is not usable on dry pavement, right?
    If you want a good head shaking laugh, read the Motorcycle Consumer News road test of the 2WD.
    Paint your Rocket camo and hook a side car to it.

See, there really is no shortage of people wanting to run your life.
    THE correct name is URINAL thats what we think of them LOL
    [url]http://www.carpenterracing.com/[/url]

An update on the R1200RT: I still have it as MOD is awaiting parts for my Rocket, darn logistics! In the meantime, I got the chance to ride to work in a pouring rain the other day. I have a rain jacket that work pretty good at keeping the rain outside where it belongs but my chaps are getting somewhat thin and rain like this will usually make it to my pants by the time I get to work. Not this day though. The RT's fairing upfront keeps almost all of the rain off of my legs and the chaps did their job well. I find I am using the cruise control more than i thought I would and the dang XM radio won't stay off. This bike is really pretty darn good.
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries

Track Racer
    GO and test drive a MIATA its a lot nicer than the BMW I know I tested one

I would but I bet they would run like crap after taking the extra two wheels off...
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries

Track Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Boog View Post
    I would but I bet they would run like crap after taking the extra two wheels off...
    TRY one youll like it your wanting a 2 wheel car anyway so youll really enjoy the Miata and its a lot nicer way to travel and still be out in the wind when you want . I like them better than the overloaded touring bikes they are way more comfy and better equipped and even cost less than a lot of the TOURING bikes