Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Track Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Boog View Post
    Diet was all I could do at first. Just before the diabetes diagnosis, I found out the pain in my gut was caused by diverticulitis. Every time I would workout of do hard work, my lower intestines would get pissed of at me. That was in November of '14 I think. So when Jan '15 rolls around and the doc gives me the news of diabetes, I couldn't do much about working out other than to walk more which did help. So diet change was the big help.

My swims are what took me below the threshold and I am sure I can keep that going...

Well, some soda may be crap, But not Dr. Pepper; it is nectar from God.
    NO good BOOG thats more of the same crap I drink very little soda mostly water some gatorade , coffee ,juice and wine went down from 220 to 164 then back to 174
    [url]http://www.carpenterracing.com/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Perdurabo View Post
    Congrats Boog. That's a difficult diet to stick to, so well done you. I also wonder, given your upcoming swim, what you exercise routine you've been following? Any Docs here are better placed than I to comment, but getting your blood sugar down that much by diet alone is quite an achievement.

Jeez Art, you're a bundle of joy aren't you?

I'm in the "Better to burn out than fade away" camp myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMFASTTOO View Post
    YEAH you want want to poison yourself for an early demise doesnt sound like fun to me I want to keep on keeping on I like the healthy lifestyle I feel much better eating the healthy stuff I enjoy eating good food and I stay away from the garbage
    An early demise? Yeah, OK, I'll take that over abstaining from fun. Will you live longer, or will it just seem longer?
    I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me.

How's your mother?
    She's dying.
    We all are, act accordingly.

No worries Art, I only have the Dr. Pepper when life gives me the worst stress. And being a sailor, I live on coffee... I drink plenty of water and now cocnut water as well as the potassium helps keep my leg cramps manageable.
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries
    28 bikes...and counting...

R3T States I have visited...

Track Racer
    An early demise? Yeah, OK, I'll take that over abstaining from fun. Will you live longer, or will it just seem longer?
    WHAT fun are you missing by eating and drinking good food ? i have a lot more fun and I feel better eating healthy food that tastes so much better anyway and being addicted to booze and drugs isnt fun and I like eating good food rather than fast food garbage that tastes like crap so tell me what are you calling fun explain

Quote Originally Posted by IMFASTTOO View Post
    WHAT fun are you missing by eating and drinking good food ? i have a lot more fun and I feel better eating healthy food that tastes so much better anyway and being addicted to booze and drugs isnt fun and I like eating good food rather than fast food garbage that tastes like crap so tell me what are you calling fun explain
    There's a happy medium between addiction and abstinence, but then if you can't see that I'm not surprised you abstain.
    I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me.

How's your mother?
    She's dying.
    We all are, act accordingly.

Track Racer
    There's a happy medium between addiction and abstinence, but then if you can't see that I'm not surprised you abstain.
    Im way ahead of you on that one been there done that and I know better being a part time drug user and or drunk doesnt work BUT a little wine now and then isnt a big deal but I watch some of my ass hole friends crash and burn drugging and drinking and no thanks thats not fun

good on ya Boog..you're an inspiration..
    06 standard--trips--preds--tuneboy
    ......rollin' like it's stolen......

Pizza Delivery
    Well done Boog ,, take no notice of what others say ,, If it works for you stick with it , I was diagnosed diabetic 20 years ago ,, once told i relized i had the symptoms for the precvious 20 years ,, so we tried diet , not worked ,, tablets not worked ,, tablets and insulan not worked ... now tablets and 3 differnt insulin 7 injections a day , and its finally come down to an average of 9 so i still have to get a bit better .

In my case we think it was always going to happen , due to familly history , both my parents sides have full on diabetis issues , , I think my problem is , i don't really give a hoot and despite , 2 heart attacks , 2 bouts of cancer , 1 triple by pass , bout of gangrene in stomach , 1 massive hernia put back and held in with mesh , 1 foot severed and hanging of at the ankle , 1 shoulder pinned and strapped , over 40 shin cancers burnt off , over 200 stitches in my face and head from skin cancers cut out , i sort of go get stuffed you can't catch me , and dodge the bullets . ha ha And say catch me if you can ,,, missis says God don't want me and neither does the devil , so they keep throwing me back ha ha

Heavens to mergatroid Coneye, you have lived through a mess of life challenges. My whole family has diabetes as well, I was the last to get it.

Now about that foot, not to get overly in your business, but you still ride I take it. Did they put it back or give you a prosthetic? I have a friend who has no right leg from the knee down that I am trying to get on a bike for the first time. He rides a recumbent bicycle now and has two different prosthetics, one for walking and one for sports. Neither work well for a motorcycle though. Just curious about yours.
    Boog
    2014 R3T/TORs
    21 year retired sailor
    42 countries
    28 bikes...and counting...

R3T States I have visited...

One leg missing is nothing. One of the best fighter pilots in WWII had two artificial legs. Seriously though, you have come through some stuff, and well done.