Fence Lake and Kilt Lifter Beer

Having concluded my last work assignment in Missouri the wife and I discussed the disposition of the camper and whether we would ever get the urge to stay in it. So I sold our travel trailer on FleeceBay. I was getting no local hits to buy so decided to try a larger audience. That was a good idea. I got no takers for anything near book value (high bid was $20,000.00 under book). It dawned on me I wasn't going to get near or even in the same neighborhood as book value so opted instead to jettison the reserve and start the bidding out $10,000 under what it was worth in hopes of actually getting rid of it. To get anyone interested I also included an option for delivery anywhere in the contiguous 48 states for $300. The guy that bought it lives in Chicago and exercised the $300 option to have it delivered to Fence Lake, New Mexico. When I told my son-in-law we were going to the far western side of New Mexico he said we ought to pop over to Arizona and get some Kilt Lifter beer (I have sampled this nectar and can attest it was worth the imagined 25 mile drive (look at a map you'll see what I mean)). Now I graduated High School in Albuquerque so thought I was fairly familiar with most of the State. I was fairly wrong. Fence Lake could be on another planet. There's no fence since it's near the Malpais Lava Flow and absolutely no water to make a lake, so it's aptly named. The burg of Fence Lake had a population of 42 for the 2010 Census, however I believe they may have evacuated due to lack of NASA landings. The road going to Fence Lake meanders through some strange terrain and has the added benefit of being constant washboard to rearrange your spine. We did pass numerous signs about deer crossings and elk crossings etc, however none were visible clear to the curvature of the Earth (not much to block your view). The wife begged me to slow down so we wouldn't absorb so much punishment from the pavement (or what passes for it in that part of New Mexico), and just let anyone pass that drove up behind us. We drove at 30 mph (ish) and for 70 miles we were never passed. Popular attraction I gather.

We left the trailer 2 miles outside the greater Metroplex with a contact person the buyer had given me and I asked him if there was any way to get to St. Johns Arizona that was less rough road than the one getting to Fence Lake. I got a near toothless grin in response. Now to be clear the actual distance between Fence Lake NM and St. Johns, AZ is about 25 miles. Due to brilliant road design, we spent another 100 miles having our spines jostled to get to St. Johns, AZ. The intent of going to Arizona was to find the only liquor store in town to see if they carried 4 Peaks Kilt Lifter beer. I had called them several times in the weeks preceding but had never gotten a human to answer the phone. They did carry the beer (yea!) and I bought them out of the entire inventory. All three six packs......

I think I have another chapter for a future book....
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

"Lessons in Lunacy: Confessions of a Motorcycle Nut" - Author
    "More Lessons in Lunacy: Motorcycle Nut Has A Screw Loose" - Author

IBA #54758

"Only a fool is free, and he only from wisdom." Chiun, Master of Sinanju

Street Racer
    Didn't realize Kilt Lifter was so popular. Its brewed just up the road a piece. Got some in the fridge now.
    Harry

2008 Rocket 3 Touring
    142 HP/149 TQ

Quote Originally Posted by GPM View Post
    Didn't realize Kilt Lifter was so popular. Its brewed just up the road a piece. Got some in the fridge now.
    I'd have it piped to the house if I could afford it....

When I was in Apache Junction for a month I got hooked on it. Great beer.
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

"Lessons in Lunacy: Confessions of a Motorcycle Nut" - Author
    "More Lessons in Lunacy: Motorcycle Nut Has A Screw Loose" - Author

IBA #54758

"Only a fool is free, and he only from wisdom." Chiun, Master of Sinanju