Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad Day at Blackrock

Ever have one of those shining moments when you recognize you've just pulled the bone-head play of the century? That was me last Friday going to Popeye's in Keller. The traffic was really thick due to the time of day my wife wanted her shrimp and smashed taters (w/gravy). The traffic was backed up light to light and we waited to turn while the traffic kept up a continuous parade. Unluckily for me two lanes stopped to let me through when the light turned green. With a lady waving me to go I turned left as the right lane cleared out leaving an opening for me to pull into the lot so I gave it gas. When I got to the far lane my wife yells there's a car coming so I gave it more gas thinking I had to hurry and pulled far enough into the lane to see a Jeep about 20 feet from me doing about 45 mph. I slammed on the brakes and in the next instant the Jeep wiped the front of my 2013 Toyota Venza off causing our car to turn violently left. Needless to say I was a bit taken aback. The Jeep passenger (teenaged kid) jumped out and came over to our car and asked if we were OK. We were, no damage to us at all, but our car was a twisted pile of junk. (Oddly the airbags never deployed, hunh.) I had to force the car door open to get out because the left fender was tucked in tight to the door. On the passenger side of the car there was a 3 inch gap at the seem of fender and car door. The driver side front tire had blown out and was flat, all the coolant in the engine was dribbling all over the road like a bloody hemorrhage and I could clearly see the new battery I just installed with the hood closed. The local police showed up after 20 minutes and the Jeep driver and I exchanged insurance info. The jeep had the left front wheel bent and the tire was losing air. He also lost some trim. Just to cap the evening off I was sited for 'failure to yield' because the Jeep driver's mother insisted on an accident investigation (she was in a car trailing the Jeep, her 17 year old son was driving), the cop didn't want to but she got huffy about it. The lady that had waved me through did stay to tell the officer what happened and she apologized to me. Lesson learned, in heavy traffic no matter how well intentioned the other drivers are, go to the next light and then back track, you'll live longer (or at least your car will).
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

"Lessons in Lunacy: Confessions of a Motorcycle Nut" - Author
    "More Lessons in Lunacy: Motorcycle Nut Has A Screw Loose" - Author

IBA #54758

"Only a fool is free, and he only from wisdom." Chiun, Master of Sinanju

Unfortunate experience, Lee, but I'm glad you're both OK.
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

That lesson learned was mine a few years back, too. I also won't go when waved through by another (courteous) driver when it's not due. Their considerate action still puts you at risk and liable according to my LEO friends
    Phil

Retired
    Most Southwestern Rocket III in the lower 48
    San Diego on the LEFT COAST

Quote Originally Posted by pjsmithres View Post
    That lesson learned was mine a few years back, too. I also won't go when waved through by another (courteous) driver when it's not due. Their considerate action still puts you at risk and liable according to my LEO friends
    Oh yeah, I'm sure the insurance premiums will take a big hit after this. I'll likely end up with a total loss and have to buy a new car and I still have yet to pay the citation so that's another way to drain my already exiguous wallet. The driving gift that just keeps on giving.....
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

IBA #54758

Bad luck but you and the wife are ok. I get a lot of Indian and Malaysian migrants try and wave me through intersections when they have right of way. I wont play, I sit there looking at them until they go 1st for this very reason .
    rosco
    08 Rocket 3 Phantom Black

Street Cruiser
    Yeh, I don't even like it when a cop waves me thru a blind spot. The young driver can learn a lesson here: when two lanes are stopped, and a third (usually a turn lane) is open, proceed with care. Slow way down, because disparity in speeds cause accidents. I've seen quite a few fenderbenders when someone speeds down a free lane during traffic stoppage in other lanes.
    Ol' Headbanger, with the Donkey Punchers MC

Quote Originally Posted by WJ View Post
    Yeh, I don't even like it when a cop waves me thru a blind spot. The young driver can learn a lesson here: when two lanes are stopped, and a third (usually a turn lane) is open, proceed with care. Slow way down, because disparity in speeds cause accidents. I've seen quite a few fenderbenders when someone speeds down a free lane during traffic stoppage in other lanes.
    This fender bender bent both frame rails at 45 degrees. The car was a total loss. We walked away without a scratch, bump or bruise. Thank God engineers figured out how to keep us safe. The insurance paid up Friday so we're on the hunt for some replacement wheels.
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

IBA #54758

Boy, oh boy, does that suck out loud, Lee! happy to hear that you were shaken and stirred, but not injured.

52 years of motorcycling has practically taught me to trust no one else's judgement on the road but my own. That way, although I occasionally will make an unintended error, I always can be certain to know who is the guilty party and it tends to be easier to prove that point, if or when necessary.
    A Man's Reach Should Always Exceed His Grasp

Quote Originally Posted by TriumPhil View Post
    Boy, oh boy, does that suck out loud, Lee! happy to hear that you were shaken and stirred, but not injured.

52 years of motorcycling has practically taught me to trust no one else's judgement on the road but my own. That way, although I occasionally will make an unintended error, I always can be certain to know who is the guilty party and it tends to be easier to prove that point, if or when necessary.
    Good point. In this case I was the moron for accepting the invitation and got the $211.00 "Welcome to Texas" citation to prove it.
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

IBA #54758

A Man's Reach Should Always Exceed His Grasp