Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rant Against a State Full of Insanity

I recently moved to Texas, which is like saying "I moved out-of-country." The idea was to move closer to our kids and grandchildren and be closer to services such as food and water since we're getting on in years. When we lived in Kansas we were 14 miles from civilization, which meant a commute for food, medical services, a waltz in Walmart, etc. Buying a home in Texas is no more or less difficult than anywhere else in the contiguous 48, but just about anything else that deals with some governmental agency is tantamount to performing brain surgery with a pipe wrench.

This week was another example of governmental bureaucracy taken to a schizophrenic level. Please note several weeks ago I went through the joy of registering our vehicles in Texas because to get a driver's license you have to have vehicle registered in the state of Texas. To register we had to drive to Southlake Texas because Keller Texas doesn't have any agency to perform the required paperwork. They kindly provided about 200 chairs for the 380 people waiting. Nice. After acquiring the tags and registration forms we had unknowingly acquired one evidence for Proof of Residency, a necessary ingredient if one wants to obtain State sanctioned driving privileges in the State Of Texas.

The following week we went to Hurst Texas to get our drivers licenses changed from Kansas to Texas. We were met at the door by an emaciated geriatric version of Bea Arthur who screeched they were full and no one was allowed inside. That was interesting. I said we just wanted to get our licenses changed from out-of-state. She said we'd have to come back and be sure to bring the required documents. Now I'm a little confused, what do you need for documents other than a valid drivers license and insurance? So I go to the Texas Department of Public Safety (or Totally Deranged Public Servants) website to ascertain the necessary information on required documents. The website was helpful at hinting at the kinds of things one needs but utterly fails to be explicit about what you should show up with. Also I found that is was possible to 'get in line online' so we wouldn't waste hours sitting in the office absorbing oxygen for no apparent reason. So following the unhelpful hints on the website I gathered what I thought were sufficient documents to change driver licenses. The following week I went online and 'got in line' and with wife in tow went to Hurst with the documents and the printed arrival time sheet. When we approached 'Maud' she screeched about why are we taking up space and I replied we wanted to get a drivers license and I had a 'get in line' ticket. She snatched the paper out of my hand and said, "You didn't push the button to get in line, you don't have any appointment." Observing there were about 900 people stacked like cord wood along the walls waiting for an empty chair (and only 700 chairs available) I said, "We'll be back another day," turned a walked briskly out. She screeched something as we left that I couldn't make out due to the steam whistling out my ears.

I surmised from the general demeanor and the population density in the building that maybe we needed to expand our horizon for getting a driver license in the State of Texas. So instead of returning to Hurst a third time I found a TDPS office in Lewisville Texas, a short 19 mile drive into the boonies. Now equipped with the knowledge one must continue to click buttons until the website says "Print Page," the following week I made an appointment in Lewisville. One the up side I made the appointment at 9AM for an appointment at 10:20 AM. The downside was I had to be there ten minutes before my appointment time and I only had an hour and ten minutes to go 19 miles. Grabbing all our documentation and hustling out the door we managed to make it with four minutes to spare. It was 19 miles with stop lights spaced 100 feet apart. We get to the new location, find TDPS on the second floor and enter the room to see a smaller office with 100 chairs and 87 people waiting, sweet. A young lady greeted us at the door and inquired what our business was and I replied we wanted to get a Texas drivers license. She asked if we were transferring from out of state licenses (now the other alternatives of why we would be there are pretty remote but I assumed she was required to ask). I stated in the affirmative. She asked if we had the required documents and proceeded to go down a long laundry list of required 'original' documents needed to transfer a license from any other state to Texas. I mentally checked off as she worked down the list and then she said "Social Security card," at which point my head exploded. Why do I need a SSA card? I want to drive, not get medicare. I was informed I had to have it and then helper lady #2 gave me a trifold brochure that had the list of documents I had to provide. OK, my bad for not knowing the state required more than a Passport to prove citizenship. So we left.

Not being able to find my SSA card I went to the SSA website to see about getting a duplicate. They required I have a valid Texas drivers license to request one (no kidding). So perusing the laundry list of acceptable documents I found they would accept a Form 1099 at the TDPS in lieu of a SSA card so I rounded up last years Federal Income Tax documents and located the wife's SSA-1099 and my 1099R. Now fully armed and getting more dangerous by the day we returned to Lewisville to get our licenses. The same young lady met us at the door and proceeded to again go down her list to which I started flipping documents in front of her. She got to the bottom of the list and not having any reason to turn us away, gave my wife and myself individual numbers to be served. We then sat for about an hour and a half until my number was called. We both went to desk #4 of the TDPS official since I only have a single original of any documents and asked "can we do this together, we're sharing documents." The TDPS official said, "You have separate numbers so if the other number is called you'll have go to that desk to be served. We can slide the documents between desks." Brilliant! He then proceeded to go down the litany of documents to get my wife her license. I handed over each original copy as he went down the list. When he asked for the insurance information I handed that over. When he asked for the car registration information I handed him the registration I had for my Ford F-250. He looked at that and raised an eyebrow and said, "what about the Chrysler 200 registration?" I said, "We just bought that and haven't gotten the registration from the dealer as yet." He said, "OK, do you have the buyer's receipt?" "Sure," I said, "just not here, why would I need that?"

Now I don't want to minimize what he next said so I'll try to quote him as best I can, to wit: "You have to show ownership for each vehicle you will be driving."

Now I'm thinking: "Really? You mean in Texas you can't drive a vehicle you don't own? Or I can only be licensed to drive a specific make model and year of vehicle? That's like getting a hunting license after you shoot the deer. This can't be right."

So I said, "You mean we don't have all the required paperwork?"

"Correct," he intoned. He proceeded to hand me back all our documents.

Maybe next week......
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

"Lessons in Lunacy: Confessions of a Motorcycle Nut" - Author
    "More Lessons in Lunacy: Motorcycle Nut Has A Screw Loose" - Author

IBA #54758

"Only a fool is free, and he only from wisdom." Chiun, Master of Sinanju

Its a lot different to Australia. A passport is the ultimate piece of ID along with a birth certificate. A driver lic is also high on the list. All you need then is some proof of address like a rental agreement or a utility bill in your name . They actually like you because now you are paying their state money.
    That one about having to own a car in that state is as dumb as you can get.
    rosco
    08 Rocket 3 Phantom Black

Street Cruiser
    It's nice to know bureaucratic idiocy is universal, but I think my head would have exploded. Why couldn't you both just get your licenses for the truck?

You mention one of my pet peeves - the incomplete web site. I had the same issue when applying for Social Security. Many times if the nerds writing the site would have just added ONE sentence, massive time and $$$ could be saved, but either they're too lazy or just assume because it's clear to them it's clear to the reader.
    A good long ride can transport me from where I am to who I am.

I got my drivers license in 1968 and still have the same one. I've moved all over the place, and it's just one form to fill in for a change of address anywhere in the UK, just post it off and it's renewed.

I believe you can do it online now, computers weren't invented last time I moved.
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIya
    Phil

Retired
    Most Southwestern Rocket III in the lower 48
    San Diego on the LEFT COAST

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I got my drivers license in 1968 and still have the same one. I've moved all over the place, and it's just one form to fill in for a change of address anywhere in the UK, just post it off and it's renewed.

I believe you can do it online now, computers weren't invented last time I moved.
    It is apparently due to your country not bordering Latin America.......
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

IBA #54758

Moved to FL recently and about to experience a similar fate I'm afraid...the list of required documents includes things I haven't been here long enough to have!!
    The beatings will continue until Morale improves. Arrgh!

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post

Any chance you'd be willing to take us back into the fold? Obviously we've run amok here in the states.
    The beatings will continue until Morale improves. Arrgh!

you don't need a license..you only need gas money..a bit easier down here in florida..more expensive though..I think it cost us several hundred dollars per vehicle to register in state..here's link for what you'll need down here..http://www.dmvflorida.org/out-of-state-drivers.shtml ..ya got 30 days to get'r done..
    06 standard--trips--preds--tuneboy
    ......rollin' like it's stolen......

Quote Originally Posted by rkt88 View Post
    you don't need a license..you only need gas money..a bit easier down here in florida..more expensive though..I think it cost us several hundred dollars per vehicle to register in state..here's link for what you'll need down here..http://www.dmvflorida.org/out-of-state-drivers.shtml ..ya got 30 days to get'r done..
    Texas allows 90 days from when you register your first vehicle and 30 days to register the first vehicle. The time is due to having to go back repeatedly while they add to your document load each trip (i.e. you can't bring too much). Also I note that Florida accepts Kansas as primary ID but not Texas, odd since Texas list of required documents far exceeds what Florida requires (check it out: https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...forLicense.htm )
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

IBA #54758