Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF Moment

WTF Moment

Last night the wife and I were headed back to the house from the kids place and I was braking in the left lane on N. Beach while approaching a yellow light at Keller-Hicks when an idiot in a little Nissan sport car jumped into the left turn lane, accelerated hard then cut across my bow at warp factor 2 and sped down Keller-Hicks as the light turned red. He went 150 feet and pulled a U-turn into the far right lane behind a pickup. When the light on Keller-Hicks turned green he turned right hit warp factor 4 down N. Beach Street too fast to get a tag number. He was apparently in a huge rush to get to his accident on time (trying to beat the paramedics there by 10 minutes is my guess).
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

"Lessons in Lunacy: Confessions of a Motorcycle Nut" - Author
    "More Lessons in Lunacy: Motorcycle Nut Has A Screw Loose" - Author

IBA #54758

"Only a fool is free, and he only from wisdom." Chiun, Master of Sinanju

Lee, might I suggest some add'l protective gear? One can never be too safe...

A Man's Reach Should Always Exceed His Grasp

Brilliant Phil.

And Lee, it's my note that lately I have slowed down just a little because this guy has some brothers and sisters here, too. It's a once a week near miss.
    Phil

Retired
    Most Southwestern Rocket III in the lower 48
    San Diego on the LEFT COAST

What part of the world would that be? for the street names you are not in Kansas anymore
    MEX TO THE MAX

Heart fluttering and ass puckering moments come with the game, I guess.

Although such moments are nearly always caused by others on the road or to surprises (gravel, oil, animals, et al) presenting themselves randomly to we riders, admittedly there's the relatively rare occasion when I self-induce a palpitating heart or stained undies due to a momentary lapse of attention or a miscalculation...

I hate when that happens...

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...te/n9274?snl=1

Street Cruiser
    Was it a redcar? Could have been aprillakilla 'cause he lives in his.

I shocked the hell out of my kids a couple months back when I announced I could see me giving up riding in the next year or so because the traffic/drivers are so bad now. I had more close calls last summer than I've had in the last 20 years combined. All on good roads, middle of the day, going under the speed limit, etc. TWICE I had drivers come over the center line on me, one continuing across my lane till he hit the shoulder and finally looked up.
    A good long ride can transport me from where I am to who I am.

Must be your magnetic personality, Ed.
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

Quote Originally Posted by RocketEd View Post
    Was it a redcar? Could have been aprillakilla 'cause he lives in his.

I shocked the hell out of my kids a couple months back when I announced I could see me giving up riding in the next year or so because the traffic/drivers are so bad now. I had more close calls last summer than I've had in the last 20 years combined. All on good roads, middle of the day, going under the speed limit, etc. TWICE I had drivers come over the center line on me, one continuing across my lane till he hit the shoulder and finally looked up.
    I can relate, Ed. Except for the TWICE part. I live in a hilly/mountainous area chock full of two-laned twisties. Apparently about a good third of the drivers on said roads perceive them as being just one lane... theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by MEXICAN View Post
    What part of the world would that be? for the street names you are not in Kansas anymore
    Spot on Lupe, please note my avatar location is now Keller, Texas.
    Regards

Atomsplitter

05 Triumph Rocket III
    74 Yamaha RD 350
    79 Yamaha XS1100

"Lessons in Lunacy: Confessions of a Motorcycle Nut" - Author
    "More Lessons in Lunacy: Motorcycle Nut Has A Screw Loose" - Author

IBA #54758

"Only a fool is free, and he only from wisdom." Chiun, Master of Sinanju

Street Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Must be your magnetic personality, Ed.
    Since I'm one of those weirdos who trigger the anti-theft devices walking INTO the store, that's not the first time my magnetism has been questioned. Now if only it attracted women and money instead of oncoming vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by TriumPhil View Post
    I can relate, Ed. Except for the TWICE part. I live in a hilly/mountainous area chock full of two-laned twisties. Apparently about a good third of the drivers on said roads perceive them as being just one lane... theirs!
    Both instances were in broad daylight on posted 35MPH straight stretches. I'm beginning to think my 1190 is cursed. Twice I had to accelerate away from intersections to keep from getting rear ended. People love to tail gate it for some reason. Last summer I was being tailgated on Oregon's Highway 20, a pretty much straight east-west route. I managed to scrape them off by passing semi's, motor homes, etc. and then ran 10 to 15 over the speed limit for a long time. It took them 80+ miles to catch up, but once they did, they settled in right on my tail.
    This sort of thing hasn't happened on the Rocket. Hell, people still occasionally just pull over when I come up behind them.
    A good long ride can transport me from where I am to who I am.