How to make and post an avatar

As I have been asked by a few people how to get avatars onto the site, I thought I'd do a little tutorial on the subject, so here we go........

I have put in all of the steps here, which on first glance will make it look like a complicated job.

Don't be deterred though - this is really for those that are not too good on computers, so every little step is listed. Those who are more competant can just pick out the bits they need.

The R3owners.com site has a limit on the size of avatars, of 80 x 80 pixels in area, and also 6144 bytes in size. This has caught a few people out, and I have been asked a few times, how to go about making one that will fit our limited requirements.

To downsize a picture to an acceptable size, you will first need an image reduction programme. There are hundreds out there, so if you want to use your own, fine. If you haven’t got one on your computer already, you will need to download one.

This tutorial, therefore, will be in two parts. The first to download a suitable & easy to use programme, the second to use it to create an avatar.

I have found a free programme, which is very easy to use. This is compatible with Windows 98, ME, NT4, 2000, 2003, XP and Vista. If you have an earlier operating system, give up now you cheap bastard, and upgrade.

1) Go to http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm
    2) Hit the ‘Download’ button
    3) Under ‘CHOICES’ you will see ‘Open’, ‘Save’ and ‘Cancel’. Choose ‘Save’
    4) Save it to your desktop
    5) Now hit ‘Close’ and come off the web
    6) Double click the saved file on your desktop
    7) Go to ‘file’, then ‘extract all’. Follow the wizard through the steps & click finish
    8) Double click on the ‘Pix resizer’ icon
    9) Double click on ‘setup.exe’, then click ‘Run’
    10) Follow the wizard through the steps to install the programme.
    11) You can now drag & drop the yellow folder ‘pixresizer’ from your desktop into the recycle bin, as you will have a shortcut to the programme on your desktop.

OK - you now have everything you need to make an avatar.

The following instructions assume you are working from Windows XP. If you have any other operating system, the names might vary, but the principal will be the same.

1) Open the Pixresizer programme by double clicking on the icon on your desktop. You should see this screen……†..

2) In box number 1 click on ‘Load Pictures’. This will open another window. Navigate to where your chosen picture is stored in your computer (usually in 'my pictures') by clicking on the ‘Look In’ drop-down box, and selecting the appropriate folder. Once you have selected your picture, click ‘open’. I selected this nice lady from my picture score, and now see this window……†…

3) In box 2, click in the little circle that says ‘Custom Size’. Make sure there is a green tick in the ‘Maintain Aspect Ratio’ box, so that when you alter size, the picture will not stretch & look odd.
    4) In the picture I selected, the size is shown as 453 x 600. We need to reduce this to a maximum of 80 x 80, so change the 453 in the left hand box to 80. You will see that the right hand box has changed, in this instance, to 106. This is still too large, so now change the figure in the right hand box to 80, and you will see that the left hand box reads 60. This is beneath our 80 x 80 requirement, and will still be in a perfect ratio.
    5) In box 3, make sure that the format JPEG is selected.
    6) In box 4, do not select either box, just hit ‘Save Picture’.
    7) The same window will appear as earlier, and you will have to navigate to wherever you want your picture saved on your computer - Presumably in ‘My Pictures’

You will see that the file size of your picture will have reduced dramatically - in this case from an original 35.2 Kb (way too big for our 6144 bytes limitation), down to an acceptable 2.96 Kb, which I assume is 2960 bytes or thereabouts.

You now have a suitably sized picture like this...........

To store it on the forum as an avatar……†….

1) From the R3owners home page, click on ‘Profile’
    2) Scroll down to the ‘Avatar Control Panel’ and click ‘Browse’
    3) Navigate to where you stored your picture, select the picture and click ‘Open’
    4) Click ‘Submit’ - job done.
    IBA # 51221

Don't wait for your ship to come in.
    Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Barry Sheene

G'day,

Owl, what is that picture to the right of the three cylinder model? and what is it doing on your computer? It scares me.

Just for you, idk ................

IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene

MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by idk
    MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!
    What do you mean? You asked for it
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene

owl - Fcuk it works,
    Pete
    2005 - Black R3 100,000 miles

IBA # 35252

Nice one, Pete
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene

owl after all the earlier attempts at working on your bike that i have been entertained with, my faith is restored.

well done

Quote Originally Posted by paul higgins
    owl after all the earlier attempts at working on your bike that i have been entertained with, my faith is restored.
    What I need Paul, is a Tuneboy guide written like this - then I wouldn't have so much trouble. And some spannering skill I suppose.

Trouble is - most people get their first taste of the skills they need from their fathers, and my dad didn'y know anything that couldn't be fixed with a six inch nail and a bloody great hammer.
    IBA # 51221

Barry Sheene